Nicotine cravings are the most difficult hurdle in any quit smoking campaign, especially during the first few weeks. So long as your quit survives, cravings for nicotine and cigarettes will gradually weaken and break down. So, when things get tough, consider using these tips to help beat nicotine cravings and progress along the path to freedom.
Take a Deep Breath, Then Slowly Exhale While Counting to Ten.
- Repeat the process until the craving dissipates.
- This is good for the majority of nicotine cravings and will also help with habitual and emotional craves.
Grab a Drink.
- This can be plain water, but drinks that are fizzy, sweet or sour, can give you a slight dopamine kick and provide a sense of satisfaction.
- Cravings may become worse when you are hungry as hunger can sometimes be confused for cravings.
- If craving, check whether or not you are due for a meal.
- If you are genuinely craving nicotine, consider nibbling on sweet or savory treats as they can also provide a natural dopamine hit.
Take a Shower or Bath.
- Having a shower or bath can be extremely useful during the early stages. They provide a period of respite from the intense waves of nicotine cravings and withdrawals.
Yell into a Pillow.
- When nicotine cravings peak, they may become so intense and aggressive, that the only way of finding relief is to grab a pillow and yell at the top of your lungs.
Are you an ex smoker or someone currently quitting? Do you have any tips that others could use to beat nicotine cravings? If so, leave a comment below.