Quitting Smoking May Cause Fatigue and Tiredness.

Woman Suffering Quit Smoking FatigueRecovery from nicotine addiction is both physically intense and a very stressful process. During the early stages of chemical withdrawal, quitters undergo a rigorous healing phase. For the majority of smokers, quitting requires immense concentration, self discipline and resilience, resulting in varying levels of fatigue and tiredness.

The symptoms of fatigue are easy to recognise. They also highlight the importance of taking time out from your normal, every day activities during the first stage of healing and chemical withdrawal.

How can you tell if you are suffering from fatigue when quitting smoking?

• Do you feel constantly tired and sleepy, even after resting?
  • Do you experience headaches, dizziness, poor concentration and blurry vision?
  • Do your muscles ache and feel weak?
  • Do you have a slow reaction time?
  • Do you have a hard time finding the motivation to do anything?
How long does the fatigue from quitting smoking last?

• Everybody is different and there are varying factors that need to be considered, such as caffeine or sugar consumption, additional illness such as depression or insomnia and external influences that may cause stress and anxiety.
  • In general, fatigue from quitting smoking should only last a couple of weeks and peak within the first few days.
  • If you experience fatigue beyond that timeframe, or your level of fatigue concerns you, seek medical advice as there may be additional causes.

Tips for Managing Fatigue When Quitting Smoking.

Rest, then get some more rest.

Your mind and body are going through an intense physical healing processes. You feel tired and fatigued because you are tired and fatigued.

Don’t make things more difficult by attempting to go about your daily life as though things are normal, they are not.

Drink water and consume plenty of micro nutrients.

The brain and body need nutrients to heal. It is important to at least try and get some nutritional food between the sugar hits you will likely rely on when quitting. Consider getting a juicer.

When able, take small steps toward regular exercise.

Exercise is one of the most healthy and advantageous things we can do for both the mind and body. It encourages the healing process and generates positive endorphins in the brain.

Start small and don’t over do it.

If you don’t normally exercise, then start with a five to ten minute walk. The key is to do this every day.

Relax and get some laughs.

It is very easy to forget what happiness feels like when you quit. While you are relaxing, consider watching some comedy. Laughter is the best medicine!

Comments

1. Dave J. Brawn says:

It would be nice if we had more people active on this forum / webpage. A lot of the posts here I had found very positive in many ways and I see myself refreshing the page frequently for updates. Should look at further publicity of this page to get more involvement from others.

• jennifer layne says:

I agree!!! Jennifer here .quit smoking 7 days ago and am pouring over any information to give me encouragement or to explain my symptoms… I’m so proud of myself but so tired ! Lol

• Dave Brawn says:

Jennifer,

7 days is a huge achievement!! Congrats. I am sure you have it to 13 days now as to when I am replying. We all go through different withdrawal symptoms but there a lot of similarities. Post them up if you feel you want to talk about them. I go through shitty anxiety trips, sleepy blocks where I feel I just sit anywhere and doze off, heart palps, slight mood swings but not too bad, thoughts that I have every sickness in the medical glossary, a tendency to google every sickness, etc.
        A lot if this is just in your head. You need to reprogram your brain to think positive and happy thoughts and basically tell yourself and know that what you have decided to do is to only make you more healthier in many many ways. Keep up the good fight Jennifer!

• CallMeGold says:

So odd you say that. I have been on my vape for last 10 days and right now is hour 36 of no nicotine. I have had 3 panicky attacks since and have never has one in my 30 years of life prior too. I also have been looking up medical issues. I hope it is truly the auditing process. Right now I am feeling tired and stumbled on this page. Felt the need to post.

2. J DeCuffa says:

I’ve quit smoking for 7 weeks! I did it with acupuncture and nerves of titanium!
    My husband has COPD and the doctor said, you have to quit or die…. ok it’s time. We both had to quit, he used Chantix and I did the acupuncture. Chants gave me irregular heart rhythms so I chose acupuncture.
    How do I feel? Proud I quit, tired some days more than others, some times just plane bewildered!! I keep telling myself this too shall pass, the depression but, I kind of think the weather has something to do with that.
    I’ve gained the weight but, the moral to the story is ~ who give a crap!!! I’ve done something extremely hard and is good for you. hence this too shall pass!
    My house smells better, my car smell better hell I smell better!
    My husband is 3 weeks without cigs and no we haven’t killed each other yet!!
    When you tell someone you quit they are like: Wow that’s awesome, congratulations ya know that’s really nice to hear too!!!
    If ya quit be friggin proud it ain’t easy but, if you did it keep going it’s worth it!!!
    Think of the positive!! You save money! You save your life! It’s nice to not have to run outside and smoke ( rain, snow, cold) .

• Tracy Maday says:

😁 38 days for me! I agree it’s hard. And I cantbwaitbto get some energy again, I’ve started walking on the TM 30 min a day. I do think thecweathervhas something to do with the way we we feel also. Well congrats!

3. Day 3 for me. Craving! But my lungs do feel better. Trying to stay away from caffeine. Gotta stay positive and o yea stay away from alcohol.

4. Ok, This site has been a tremendous help to me. Just not seeing it used much. I must assume all who have used this blog are free and clear of deadly nicotine. I am feeling much better as 14 Apr. is my 90 day mark. I must admit that I had some hopeless days. Stomach issues greatly much better, sleep greatly improved. Heart palps are almost gone. Cravings few and far between. The medical community are not versed in nicotine withdrawals and recovery. My faith in God and this blog was and continues to be my medicine. God has, threw his word, shown me what and when to eat. Read Daniel Chapter 1 Verses 12-16. Nicotine directly impacts our digestive system. Good eating and time is the healer. My point is, don’t give up! It gets better. Again, long suffering produces endurance.

5. It will be one month for me on April 17. I feel like I have been through a lot with the withdrawals but it is what it is and yes, the withdrawals make you feel like you are absolutely suffering from every horrible disease out there and then you reach out to the internet and get terrified and anxious. Then you can go ahead and add health anxiety to your list of already horrible symptoms which usually sends us to the dr in a panic so then they look atcha like your cra. They test you and reassure you and so your ok and you are just having anxiety from quitting but they din’t tell you how long that will last or that it’s normal, they ask you if you have “someone to talk to.” So your ok for a while..until the new symptom of the day pops up and then it’s back to the internet while thinking. “are you freaking kidding me this just can’t be more cigarette withdrawal.” Trying to reassure yourself that you are not having a heart attack or that you don’t have cancer, lymphoma, vasculitis, fibromyalgia, arthritis, tumors in every orfice from your mouth to colon, gal bladder, liver and deadly pancreas problems. The internet as I have discovered is geared to sell and if it isn’t promoting local doctors, alternative meds and herbs and such it is doing it through sites where people “identify” with your symptoms and have had them before and now they have one or several of these deadly things. Think about this; of the millions of people out there on the internet putting all of their personal medical issues out there how many do you think are being truthful? Over-reacting? Downright being manipulative? I’m sorry but this is the World Wide Web and people sit behind their computers and lie and businesses want to promote their products no matter what. I have learned to stay off the internet and when I look for quit smoking support if I see the first words of the first post are; “quit smoking and now dying.” I pass it right by because you will never know the truth of someone’s Med problems. No one will tell you “well, I have had this disease or I am an IV drug user or alcoholic or I have eating disorder or diabetes or some other thing they don’t want to admit to because they may not want to deal with that and blaming everything on nicotine withdrawal just sounds like it’s easier. I just suggest stop googling symptoms it can drive you crazy. Your body will heal itself and if your dr has concerns they will tell you. It should be mandatory that doctors be educated on the chemicals in cigarettes and what they do to the body and what happens to the body when quitting. Western medicine is not designed to heal the patient it is designed to keep us sick and spending more money on meds that absolutely create more horrible symptoms that need more meds to cover up more symptoms so you are spending more and more and more. That is the purpose of western medicine and the insurance co’s are all on bored with it. I am not saying that no one needs medication for their health issues but I am saying be very cautious what you decide to take, just because a doc hands it to you does not make it healthy or needed at all and they get money for getting you to buy it. Ask questions and make them answer or change doctors. I wish all the best.

• Well put. The food and drug administration is making billions and billions. My 90 day mark was yesterday. I believe withdrawal is age indicative and the body will heal itself. If they could bottle nicotine it would make a great antidepressant ( ; I also think, in my own experience that nicotine masks it own damage and masks other aliments in our health. At this point in my recovery, I”m totally over nicotine addiction. I”m now healing from the damage from the smoke with all the toxic chemicals it has. Your post made me think Martine. Congrats on your quit. My 1st month seemed easier than my 2nd. My 3rd month yielded different adverse challenges. Everyone is in fact different. I used nicotine both smoke and skoal dip for 49 years and was athletic at the same time. I will never use nicotine again. I believe God has sustained me because of my faith that lead me to being redeemed by him. God hates sin, yet loves the sinner. This blog is goodtogo!

• Mohamed AlKooheji says:

Martine Relax. One Advice DONT DR. GOOGLE if you google everything, you will read the wrong things and the wrong symptoms and panic even more. Trust me, avoid googling answers. I quit two weeks now, and I have been suffering a mild depression for a few years its ok thats part of life, it has nothing to do with quitting smoking. Just read Allen Carr’s Easy way to stop smoking, you will understand that nictoine withdrawl symptoms are very minimal. You will not feel any physical or mental pain. The only withdrawal symptom im having is tiredness, but thats normal as Ive read and it should be gone after a few weeks,

6. Mohamed AlKooheji says:

Hi Guys, its been two weeks since I stopped smoking. Ive read Allen Carr’s Easy Way to stop smoking. Quitting is not easy, but its not hard either. DONT use willpower, and DONT use substitutes. You will Fail! Im not trying to discourage you. Just read the book and have an open mind about smoking, no gimmicks, no tricks, no hypnotizing. The only thing that im going through right now which im not happy about, is that im always tired, always sleepy. My energy levels are low, im always fatigued. I read this Forum somewhere online by this woman called wendy, she makes sense. Here are the reasons 1- You’re Body has been sleep deprived all these years because subconsciously your brain was still craving cigs at night while you’re asleep 2- Your Body took a lot of pounding all these years and now it is recovering and healing from all these chemicals you use to inhale (its like recovering after a surgery). 3- Recovery normally takes anywhere from 3 weeks to a few months. Again dont be too discouraged by it. You are living a healthier life. Just do a little excercise and feed your body proper nutrientions and vitamins.

7. Tomorrow is my 100 day mark. The adverse symptoms of withdrawal change for me. seems something new rears its ugly head. I have stopped googling for answers because i’m finding answers. Sleep is still tough. Cravings still present. My blood pressure constantly normal as my Dr. says is great for a 60 year old man. I guess my athleticism in my younger years is paying off. I must say that i’m doing better yet realize i have a ways to go. I’m that guy that probably needs that full year. Again I will never use nicotine again! It is a deceptive drug that will be the root cause of death, suffering, illness, ect… If they could bottle it, it would be a great antidepressant. My main issue is depression of which will reek havoc on your physical. All of you who are quitting have my utmost admiration and utmost respect. I used to think Boot Camp was the hardest thing in my life, not any more. Quitting nicotine has that beat hands down. God bless you all as he said “long suffering produces endurance”

8. Kim W Brendahl says:

9. Hello all, today is 14 days smoke free , I am feeling better but am suffering from the smoker’s remorse . I know this will pass . I also suffer from insomnia and fatigue . I agree with MSgt, I also served in the military and quitting smoking is much tougher than basic training . I am done with cigs, as I do feel better already but know I have a long way to go . I am proud as I was a 40 year smoker, I am feeling more confident every day about my quit. I want to see my grandchildren grow up and be a good example for them. This is my first post , I just wanted to let you all know how very helpful this site is for me , let’s me know I’m not going crazy .

• Greetings Kim, Wow, I to have to heart to quit for my Grandchildren. I’m on my 102nd day mark. I’m beginning to get some of my OOORHA back. I think maybe I suffered all withdrawal symptoms from nicotine. My Dr. was sympathetic yet not versed on nicotine with withdrawal. God love her. I don’t think the medical community as a whole is versed on it. Can you imagine how the food and drug administration would loose millions if people started getting healthy by quitting tobacco? The medical insurance business, Less Dr. visits, less prescriptions written. Wow! Can you also imagine just how pleasing it would be to our lord for people to quit deadly nicotine? Anyway, I could go on and on. Your reason to quit is admirable and God WILL bless you immeasurably. Keep going hard charger! Nutrition and this blog is a big help. I check it quit a bit. Read DANIEL 1:12-16 As the Lord leads ( : Semper Fi! Warrior.

• Hi MSgt, still smoke free. Starting to feel better . Had a few days of high anxiety as my 2 Yr old grandson is in the hospital with a viral infection in his lung. To make matters worse they are stationed on the west coast , I am on the east coast . I had a moment where I wanted to smoke and realized this would do nothing to help my grandson or myself so I pushed through and am still smoke free. Shutting down those triggers. My grandson is doing better now, but God help both him and me. I’m not as far as you but I will get there. Thanks for the support . Semper fi MSgt

• Greetings Mrs. Kim, that poor baby!!! Good for you to not going to nicotine. As Warriors we both know about anxiety. God is a tester of hearts as we all fall short of his test, yet his free gift of grace will see us threw as he knows our hearts. Each time you resist, reward yourself with the thought of how the lord loves you so so much. Be advised that you and your grandson are on my prayer list. PROVERBS 3:5-6 says, trust in the lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. acknowledge him in all your ways and he will guide your path. Semper Fi. I’m proud of you hard charger.

• Greetings MSgt, Thanks for the prayers . Grandson is doing much better . I know God is with us always and has been sending me the strength to get through . I think nicotine is the mightiest enemy I ever had to battle . I plan on winning this one. 27 days and still winning . Thanks for the support and prayers .

10. Saoirse says:

Hi fellow quitters. This is day 27 for me, only by the grace of God. I have had some ok days but mostly it’s really awful, junkie thinking brain wants just one more. Every day is a battle, even though I do not want to smoke, I won’t smoke. Had a 40 year habit, last year I quit for 110 days then relapsed. I believe you need a year to overcome all your triggers and they can sneak up on you unexpectedly strong. Have had some very stressful times in the past 27 days and managed to cope so glad about that. It’s like we have to completely reprogram our brains and emotions. Have been tearful as well; all those painful emotions we hold down with the smoke are surfacing as well as the physical junk. Awful awful taste in my mouth too. Things I have found helpful are drinking pints of cold water; sipping boiled water with a slice of lemon; making a herbal tea from scratch with fresh ginger, lemon, garlic and cayenne pepper (it’s warming and helps the chest!) using a decongestant inhaler; chewing sugar free minty gum; deep breathing; snacking on strawberries, grapes, berries, even kids lollipops. But it’s so HARD. I just have to make it this time. This is my first post, and thank you all for making me know I am not alone

• Di Brophy says:

Day 44 for me and I feel like I’m going to make it. It’s been one of the hardest things I’ve ever done after 40 years of smoking. I’ve been drinking lots of water and tea and sucking on cough drops. Googling info about everything I’m feeling has been helpful. It makes me feel less alone knowing others have and are going thru this too. For today I am smoke free!

• You are doing everything right Saoirse. Continue to claim Gods grace! He made our bodies to heal. I’m on my 108th day. Gods not done with me yet. I’ve eliminated caffeine also. That was hard but not like nicotine. Nicotine affects nearly every organ in our bodies.

• Hello, today is day 27 for me. I also had what I called weepy eye’s , this will pass. Just feeling a bit of smoker’s remorse , it’ll pass. Keep knocking down those walls in your brain. Everytime you get through a stressful situation another wall starts to fall. Let’s keep going , we can make it .

11. Zara1408 says:

My boyfriend who smoked for the past 42 years, pauses for 243 days! He is doing so well and I’m so proud of him. You can do it too!

12. Nate R says:

Hi all,

I quit chewing tobacco a month ago and quit smoking one week ago. In between quiting both, my dentist found leukoplakia on my left cheek during a routine cleaning. I believe the leukoplakia is being caused by a chipped tooth that is rubbing on my cheek but the thought of having cancer causing skin cells is not helping with my withdrawal symptoms. I have other symptoms popping up that aren’t related to withdrawal symptoms (bad taste in mouth, bad breath, pressure behind left jaw and eye and swollen left tonsil) so needless to say, the urge to use is still strong during this stressful time. I have appointments with an ENT and Oral Surgeon for professional opinions because Google has me really concerned. I know Google is the last thing I should have done because cancer is the first 20 search results but I was looking for some type of common/less sinister diagnosis than what was running through my mind. Overcoming the want to light up or put in a chew has been relatively easy by keeping my two daughters (7 and 4 yrs old) and my wife in mind. I’m hoping my appointments this week and next yield good results, it would take a lot off my mind. Reading so many people’s experiences on this site has been very helpful with my anxiety so thank you to all who have shared their story.

• Google is speculative Nate. continue to seek medical professional help Brother Man! I smoked and dipped. I thought I was going to die. I love God as He lead me threw the long agonizing process of getting literally everything checked. I urge you to continue with that. I’m on my 4th month and the withdrawals are still present. I lived a very stressful 24 years as a Marine. Nicotine was the medicine for my brain housing group. I encourage you to talk to God. He WILL respond. I’m a Praying Man that does battle on my knees. Keep me posted. Mrs. Kim is a Godly Woman on this blog as i’m sure she will join me in prayer for you and all. Read Proverb 3;5-6 and claim it!

13. Michael Q says:

Week 6 after going cold turkey on my 69th birthday ( some present). First week was rather brutal, slept a lot and drank a tea made from fresh ginger and lemon for constant sore throat.Now, Tired and unfocused often; somewhat lethargic, but coping well. I find that my occasional craving is usually abated after 10 long, slow, deep breaths. I am trying not to compensate by eating, when I do eat it’s been vegetables and fruit. and drinking lots of water, herbal teas and coffee. In the past 2 weeks I’ve started exercising using yoga and some old, stretch moves, followed by a long, leisurely 20 mile bike ride along the Chicago Lakefront. Thankfully the weather is good and I can keep busy doing yard work and gardening. I’ve also started painting again! Very much enjoyed reading everyone’s comments here…it was a relief to know this tiredness is normal and I just need to keep at it. Wish you all strength for this good fight!

• With age comes wisdom Michael! Your choice to quit is impressive at your age! Good for you! Your actions to cope are very sound. In my research, I’ve read its harder to quit because of the length of time the brain receptors were exposed to nicotine. In 2 days I start my 5th month. Its getting much better! Talking to God is my 1st line of defense whereas He was my last resort when I 1st quit! When I was weak, He showed up and made me strong. You have my utmost respect for the choice you’ve made. God comes threw EVERY time.

14. Its been 45 days I quit smoking. I start smoking at teen and now quit at 50. But recently I am experiencing a great deal of laziness, tiredness, lack of motivation and swing in mood. I know for sure it has to do with my usual lifestyle like sleeping less. Smoking more. Now I guess I need more sleep as there is no nicotine in blood. Quitting smoking is not bothering me but seriously bothering my alertness, activeness and motivation. Any suggestions.

• Greetings Jack, I had a full blood panel done. I mean everything. most results were low normal and borderline low. I now take supplements to include pre and probiotics. My blood work is now spot on. At 60, I’m totally medfree. Praise God! I have just begun my 5th month quit and still feel morning funk, cravings, mild heart palps and sleep malfunctions. In the beginning the withdraws were horrible. before i quit nicotine my blood pressure was high, my anxiety was bad enough to go to the ER only to be told my heart was physically healthy. The day of my last pinch of scoal, I went into AFIB, I spent the day inpatient and had every heart test done and was told my heart, lungs, and all vital organs are VERY healthy. My point Brother Man is this, nicotine is a brain receptor orgasm. Excuse my graphic terminology. Its a great antidepressant. Our brain controls everything, sleep, energy, mood, emotions. you name it. The absents of nicotine requires “REBOOT” of our brain receptors. All my symptoms got worse when I quit. I’m just now getting better! Be advised that everyone is in fact different regarding withdrawals and time of recovery. I am a GOD fearing Man that does battle on his knees. I spent my whole life as a Marine and nicotine was my coping mechanism and it worked! I’ve come to realize nicotine does not ease stress at all, it simply relaxes the brain as in infiltrates adversely every organ of the body. IT GETS BETTER! In my time of despair, GOD showed up. My life’s verse is Proverb 3:5-6. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will guide your path”. Any who know Gods word knows our body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. It is sin to knowingly hurt our body’s because of this. Sin has consequence, repentance of Sin brings healing. God is faithful to heal us. Understand God gave us free will and will NOT take it away. He is as close as a thought or whisper of His name Brother! I hope this helps Good Man! My 5th grandson was born last week! He was named Jack. God bless you and Semper Fi!

15. Dave Brawn says:

Hi All,

Keep this posted somewhere in front of you always…”A HEALTHY MIND = A HEALTHY BODY”. Fully agree with a lot of posts here. I have been going through bad anxiety trips, I have been googling my eyeballs off, I have been thinking that every slightest bit of pain I feel somewhere on my body means that I am going to die. Does sound lame…but hey…that is what the cigarettes have done to you.
    Need to point one thing out though…all symptoms and when someone will actually feel ‘nicotine free’ fully depends on every individual. Not everyone is the same. Similarities will be there but not everything will be pin point exact. Some lucky ones out there may get through the crap in one day but I am sorry to say…some may only get there after six months. Never give up though. Believe in yourself.
    C’mon all, lets try and get more and more support for this forum. Post up links on websites / social media pages. Let ‘achoice2live’ be a place where quitters go to actually feel supported and that they are making a difference and there is nothing to worry about.
    I know I have only quit for 2.5 months but we need to help out every other person out there who probably just needs someone to talk to.

• Bravo David! I was trained up to believe pain is weakness exiting the body! Pain is pain Brother Man! Nicotine is an awesome anti inflammation to include other deceptive anti’s. What’s the lesser evil? We live with many of those. Anyway, true testimony requires truth! Admitting truth of weakness is courageous, not lame! What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. Nicotine is and will be the underlining cause of death! Just started my 5th month and i feel lame yet know when I was using nicotine I was LAME! Good post Bother David! You are correct to say we are all different. God made us that way as he calls us by name! Psalm 139:14, “I will praise you, because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well”. God used you David to lead me to this verse of Gods word! I’m grateful. We and this blog with Gods grace is all we have. The medical community, food & drug administration would loose millions of $ if people got well from quitting Nicotine. Semper Fi! to all of YOU.

16. Well having given up the evil weed the only thing that is really bugging me is being so tired. I’m not really craving a smoke or crawling the walls but feeling sleepy is driving me nuts and I can’t fully concentrate on what I’m doing. Thankfully there are posts here that confirm that this is normal! And that is reassuring.
    Keep up the good work folks and don’t surrender to your cravings…..Be Free, Smoke Free, Live Free..