Quit Smoking. Beat Nicotine Addiction. Build a Better Life!

Quitting Smoking May Cause Fatigue and Tiredness.

Woman Suffering Quit Smoking FatigueRecovery from nicotine addiction is both physically intense and a very stressful process. During the early stages of chemical withdrawal, quitters undergo a rigorous healing phase. For the majority of smokers, quitting requires immense concentration, self discipline and resilience, resulting in varying levels of fatigue and tiredness.

The symptoms of fatigue are easy to recognise. They also highlight the importance of taking time out from your normal, every day activities during the first stage of healing and chemical withdrawal.

How can you tell if you are suffering from fatigue when quitting smoking?

• Do you feel constantly tired and sleepy, even after resting?
  • Do you experience headaches, dizziness, poor concentration and blurry vision?
  • Do your muscles ache and feel weak?
  • Do you have a slow reaction time?
  • Do you have a hard time finding the motivation to do anything?
How long does the fatigue from quitting smoking last?

• Everybody is different and there are varying factors that need to be considered, such as caffeine or sugar consumption, additional illness such as depression or insomnia and external influences that may cause stress and anxiety.
  • In general, fatigue from quitting smoking should only last a couple of weeks and peak within the first few days.
  • If you experience fatigue beyond that timeframe, or your level of fatigue concerns you, seek medical advice as there may be additional causes.

Tips for Managing Fatigue When Quitting Smoking.

Rest, then get some more rest.

Your mind and body are going through an intense physical healing processes. You feel tired and fatigued because you are tired and fatigued.

Don’t make things more difficult by attempting to go about your daily life as though things are normal, they are not.

Drink water and consume plenty of micro nutrients.

The brain and body need nutrients to heal. It is important to at least try and get some nutritional food between the sugar hits you will likely rely on when quitting. Consider getting a juicer.

When able, take small steps toward regular exercise.

Exercise is one of the most healthy and advantageous things we can do for both the mind and body. It encourages the healing process and generates positive endorphins in the brain.

Start small and don’t over do it.

If you don’t normally exercise, then start with a five to ten minute walk. The key is to do this every day.

Relax and get some laughs.

It is very easy to forget what happiness feels like when you quit. While you are relaxing, consider watching some comedy. Laughter is the best medicine!

Comments

1. Ok well I’m on the afternoon of day 5. I must say it has not been the easiest journey after smoking for the last 20 years. I am determined to see this through, enough is enough. Not only for my own health, i am doing this for my daughter who is 10 this may. I have a pic of her on the fridge with a sticky note underneath which says “My Reason”. She is a major factor in giving up, I want to be around for as long as I can to see her life, her children. Well I’m outta here to solider on with this :))

• Soldiering on is a great way of putting it! Stay strong!

• Diane McGlade says:

On day 3 of quitting. The intense fatigue is overwhelming.This is my second attempt. I quit for 9 months with the help of the tablets. This time I’m using Intellicig. Am also very irritable. Just want some energy back !

• Keep going mate. I’m a smoker of 12 years and I’m 4 days into quitting. What a ride so far. Each hour that passes makes me that little bit happier cause I’m closer to this DRUG not having control over my life. Good on ya mate.

2. I am going on 8 weeks smoke free but it seems to be getting harder the aches and pains sleepiness and fatigue are to the point that I want to start again but I can’t stand the thought of it! What are some suggestions of kicking my motabulisum back into gear? Thx for any help from very sleepy now nonsmoker

• Hi Uphda, well done on 8 weeks!

I suggest eating wholesome foods that require more energy to break down. (Beans, whole-grains, fresh produce etc etc) and some for of daily exercise. Doesn’t have to be a lot. Maybe a 10 minute brisk walk, twice a day. :)

3. I am only on day 9 but I am wondering when do your lungs stop hurting ,,,

• Hi Donna, well done on reaching day 9!

If you are experiencing pain, I would check it out with the doctor. I felt, as have many other quitters, a sensation of tightness in the lungs when I had craves. If this is what you are experiencing, it should weaken as your craves do. I felt it for a few weeks, less and less until it eventually went away.

• Barry Tate says:

Thanks for sharing this comment, Cameron. I have also been experiencing the chest tightening and it’s been 2 wks since I stopped. This explains a lot.

4. Help 21 days into my quitting and I have no interest in my normal day activities. I miss my old energy and interest in live…..

5. Tim Welbourn says:

9 days
    I ripped into the kids this morning for talking amongst them selves and then had a go at the mrs because I couldn’t work the printer. What is happening to me im a monster. I have no interest in accomplishing any jobs including my own which us bad as I’m self employed.
    I feel so tired and I have forgotten what the joys of life are.
    If I new it would be like this I would never have started.
    But this is it now never again I am so close to accomplishing this and no I will feel very proud and feel the benefits of not smoking.

• Heya Tim. Well done on 9 days!

Yeah, it gets really tough. I know what you mean about forgetting the joys of life. The good news is, that weakens the more you heal. As your brain begins to regulate dopamine highs at a normal level. (You have been used to extreme, regular peaks.) In time, life will become A LOT more enjoyable, especially if you get into new interests.

As for the anger, I found locking myself away when I could helped. Oh, and scream into a pillow…loudly!

Stay strong!

6. I quit 3 weeks ago. I find myself STRUGGLING every day. I’m only 20, an I only smoked for 1 year. Never even consistently. Sometimes I’d have a pack last 3-6 days, sometimes I’d smoke 3 packs in a day.

First week of quitting I felt tired-ish, but I was calm. This past week, I have seriously been high strung. I’ve been short with everyone, been REALLY aggressive. I hate everything and everyone which is weird because everyone tells me I’m the most positive person they know.

I get plenty of sleep and can usually hold it together in the worst of situations.

I snapped last night and screamed at my sister over nothing. I went to the woods, and had my first cigarette. It felt amazing.

I’m so on the fence right now. It feels good to have quit, but I think for my sake it is best to keep smoking for now.

• Enmanuel says:

Hey Andrew look atit this way, do you rather go thru this phase of quitting smoking now that you dont have that much addiction and that you are healthy or do you ratherkeep smoking and later on in life you might get seriously ill and then quit?thunk about it man,

• Hi Andrew,

I’m 40 and have smoked ‘properly’ since about the age of 16. I’ve tried UMPTEEN times over the last 20 years to stop smoking (believe me, I’ve tried EVERYTHING including the Carr book and group) and I think I’ve finally managed it. I think fundamentally and although it sounds like a cliche, you have to want to do it. You have to hate yourself as a smoker and you have to hate for what it stands for. I would read as much as you possibly can on tobacco including the industry as well as what long term health problems you can expect from smoking, the money you can expect to spend etc etc. If you still want to smoke after that then at least you can tell yourself you’ve made an informed choice:)

I will say though that this website (and I still must write to Cameron and tell him this) is the single most useful tool I’ve ever used in combatting nicotine addiction. I think the most fantastic bit of information and probably for me, the missing part of the jigsaw in terms of successfully stopping smoking, is understanding the addiction itself. Cameron explains the addiction brilliantly; understanding that nicotine addiction (like any other addiction) is a disease of the brain that can be cured, has probably actually stopped me smoking. I finally get it.

I would read everything you can on the subject of smoking. You have more resentment than you ‘should’ about stopping smoking and i totally understand how you feel because that’s how I’ve felt on previous attempts and is the reason I’ve started again. It’s been almost 3 weeks but I can tell you now that I know I’ve stopped for good this time. Something has clicked finally.

Good luck and don’t stop stopping!

• Hello Andrew!!

I have been smoking for over 20+ years and this is my millionth time to quit. I have been cigarette free (not nicotine, yet) for 3 days. I am using an e-cig and it seems to be helping this time. I truly got fed up with smoking. I also calculated how much money I would spend between now and the day I could die (in my case, I chose 80 years old). Supposing that the price of cigarettes remains at $6.00 +/-
      I would spend close to $80,000 over the next 30 years. Would rather spend that on something else. I have learned to never take another puff, you do and you are hooked again. So good luck to myself and everyone else who is trying to win the battle against nicotine!!

7. I quit smoking 11 weeks yesterday and feeling so much better but still having fatigue, lightheaded or dizziness feeling just over all feel tired don’t want to do anything. I have gone numbers of times to my doctor and test after test and everything is fine ) if anyone has any suggestions please help.

• Hi Keith, grats on 11 weeks!

Some people will experience the fatigue longer than others. If your doctor thinks everything is clear, I would just try and get some extra rest. Maybe try a daily walk as well, as regular exercise does help fatigue. Diet also contributes. I ate a lot of sugar in the early weeks/months. So I often had energy peaks and lows. Much better these days!

Stay Strong!

8. Marky Yates says:

Gave up smoking 3 weeks ago yesterday.I have been smoking for 25 years,i am the type of person that could have gone without a ciggarette for hours,so it didnt really rule my life.Have now just thought right thats it,no more.I have ridden moto-x for just as long so always been quite active.I have found since quitting im more tierd at night but wake up earlier,Also the last couple of weeks after riding my bike my arms & hands have really been aching as if really stiff for a few days after,this has got to be realted to giving up.

9. Ram Lama says:

Hi there! I started smoking 5 months ago and I used to smoke 3-4 cigarettes daily. But i quit smoking 5 days ago. I am experiencing insomnia, fatigue, anxiety and cough. How long will this last? I am not a heavy smoker. So can you please help me? Sorry for bad english. I am from Nepal.

• Hi Ram, well done for quitting!

Insomnia and anxiety are secondary conditions that ought to be treated separately. Having said that, their severity can obviously be related to the act of smoking and quitting. I would speak to a doctor about getting help for those. The fatigue may also be prolonged because of the anxiety and insomnia as well.

The cough will likely come and go over the coming months as your lungs heal.

10. All of you guys need to read Allen Carr’s Easy Way To Stop Smoking. I have been quit smoking for 3 years. I tried every method you can think of in the past. The longest I had quit was 9 months, but the urge to smoke and the mental craving never went away – until I read his book. It completely changes your perspective on smoking and quitting smoking. Everyone should give this book a try. You have nothing to lose…

• Thanks Jaclyn.

His book helps some people, and for others it doesn’t. I am sure plenty of people who visit this site have read it. One thing it does really well, is encourage people to recognise the addiction, which is the first stepping stone.

11. On day 15 and the fatigue is really bad, just lit one up now and feel sooooo much better :)

• hi Eddie, I’m sorry but i dont believe you, think you are just wanting someone to tell you you are right and yep a smoke will make everything marvellous and yep eddie you’ve done the right thing, you know deep down you feel crap for giving in ,your head would have spun and you would have felt crap after your first ,i had 1 last week so i know the feeling and went looking for people to tell me i was right to have that,had to sit down and tell myself what a complete dick i was, Yep ,i feel crap at the moment, so tired and always thinking of how to fill day in, but OMG i can breath, smell, taste and so on, 30 year smoker 15-20 a day and 12 weeks smoke free, and i am just going to ignore your comment, get healthy with my diet and keep plugging along,

• tassi dave says:

yeah closing in on 6 weeks .heavy smoker 20 plus years.insominia.tierd ect blag blah but like you jenny.i can breathe smell taste and i dont stink of the crap cigs any more so yeah im with you plug on plug on

12. Geesh! I’m on Day# 3 & Boyfriend is Day# 5!!! I am tired & lazy but waking up @ 3 am!! Having Cravings about 6-7 times/Day! It’s been a little Manic as we alternate between being little bitchy to Hysterically laughing!!! I was bawling the other Day, as my Printer Ink was ‘blobbing’!!! Then howled when I told the Boyfriend!! I am definitely in Withdrawal!!! LOL!!!

13. Hi,
    It has been 150 days since I stopped smoking.I used to smoke 2 packs a day for 20 yrs. I feel on top of the world now and I am a source of envy for all my smoker friends.
    Even now I sometime experience tingling sensation in my fingers and toes and also feel a sudden anxiety in my stomach.

• Hi URM, grats on 150 days!

The scar left by addiction does take some time to heal. I would expect pangs to come and go for several months at least. The walls really subsided for me around the 10 month mark. Although I still had really, really small walls afterwards, though even they have cleared up now. (nearly two years for me.)

Stay Strong!

14. Mostafa Sharaby says:

I gave up smoking a month ago. I went to the ER many times, right after. Head pressure and Pain. I did MRI tests on my spine and brain, came back normal. I did blood tests, came back normal. I still have head pressure a bit often while doing some kind of medium activity. I had lots of anxiety and stress, thinking I can’t snap out of this feeling and my body giving up on me. I couldn’t eat for the first 2 weeks from so much Health Anxiety. I started eating better slowly but truly better. Sometimes I’ll get stiff joints and pain either in my back or arms overall anywhere in my body and it happens, PAIN! I got up today to go get a birth certificate for my wife in the scorching heat and felt like I was going to faint. I hope all this goes away. The fatigue is killing me. Thing is this is my third time quitting in 1 year. The first time I quit was for 3 months, and I felt great but got back into it. The second time was for 2 months but for the second time I came back heavier then ever. I do want to also mention I quit drinking PEPSI same time I quit smoking. I used to drink at least 1 PEPSI a day on average and some days not. Maybe all this is happening because I quit only for 2 months and my body was healing it self then I came back and smoked even harder and stopped again with caffeine. I hope I get better from the anxiety and fatigue. God willing. Amen

• Hope you are still doing ok Mostafa. Thanks for the comments and grats on 1 month!

I suspect you are also having withdrawals from caffeine and sugar. When I quit smoking, I also quit caffeine for a few weeks, which I think made the fatigue worse. (I always suffer fatigue when abstaining from coffee.) The body will adjust and it will get better. In the mean time, if you are not already doing so, I recommend some form of daly exercise. Even if only for 10 minutes. :)

Stay Strong!

15. hello Cameroon ,
    I have been smoking for 5 years. Recently I was smoking more than one package per day,
    It is one week I decided to quit but not completely , every day I smoke 2-3 cigarettes , that wthout that I m not so strong to struggle.
    What I want to say is I ve never felt such tired , headache, low- motivation, depression..
    I do not have any problem but I feel like I am the unhappiest person in the world .
    One thing makes me happy that I think I am about to forget cigarette forever.
    Please kindly help me, what should I do ?
    I was doing exercise and now I cant even walk for 15 mins.I go to workplace sit behind the computer and then come back home , sleep.I don’t even want to eat anything if I dont have pain on my stomache. I feel like I am pensioner,
    Your comments will be highly appreaciated,Best Regards,

• Hi Julia.

Even cutting down the cigs is going to cause physiological changes in the brain, as it adjusts to the lower dose of nicotine etc. So you will experience some withdrawal, a cycle that will continue until you have healed from the addiction altogether.

As for the depression, this is common among smokers and there are many studies that link two together. Having said that, I would treat the depression separately and talk to your doctor. It is a very treatable condition. I have had to manage depression multiple times throughout my life, and for me, recovery requires small steps. Talking to a GP and therapist is a good start. I also recommend exploring new things in life and taking up new interests. The number one thing I recommend though, is philanthropy. By giving yourself to a cause and doing something of real value for others, you immediately prove your value to not only the world, but yourself as well. There is no better treatment for depression, in my opinion.

16. On day 3 and feeling so low like I just want to scream :-( Smoked for 18years and am determined I am going to quit for good and follow this through.

17. For me the worst time was around week 3-4. The initial “arent I doing well after day 4″ feeling had long passed and I then experienced tiredness and struggling with concentration and head feeling fuzzy. Then I got angry and frustrated. Now after week 8 life has become a lot more interesting and I am a lot more relaxed and I can do more during the day.
    However there is definitely an issue still. I am trying to incorporate exercise into my routine and being relatively fit despite being a smoker I have struggled with this. It is easy to overdo it and feel horrible the next day. It really is just take it easy and be patient with yourself. But I do recommend starting to incorporate or regenerate old interests. For instance the last time I gave up a bought a new motorbike. And this time I got a new mountainbike and getting my teeth fixed. Think and do positive even though you feel like rubbish and eventually you will occasionally start enjoying life again…but this time properly without horrid drugs like nicotine. Also moderate alcohol and caffeine its these that you brain can associate with smoking. I would advise abstaining from alcohol for a while and if you give into a smoke whilst having a drink then make sure you just tell yourself it was a one off and keep quitting. Be stubborn. And one word of advise dont be too hard on yourself. If you give into smoking, perhaps its just not the right time. There are worse things in the world but not many. Just make sure you do quit again.

18. Day 6

Hi,
    I was wondering if others know people who had been heavy smokers and just quit as if it was nothing suddenly when they made the decision and didnt even seem to suffer much. How is that possible?? My boyfriend is one such person, whereas I have insomnia, am spacey, tired and over emotional. I also have sore eyes, ears and throat. When I try blame my low spirits on withdrawal symptoms, my boyfriend doesnt understand, he didnt really have withdrawal symptoms. How can this be?

• Hi Lynn,

Every body has a slightly different physiology and circumstances. Having said that, I would think it rare for two heavy smokers to have such a widely different experience. He may well be suffering, just somehow able to suppress it more and keep it internalised. Try not to measure your quit against others. This is your quit and your journey and you need to focus on what you need to win.

Stay strong!

19. Rebecca hand says:

I’m on my 9th day…. I’ve been using the 10motives disposable pens which take the edge off… 2 days ago I started with swollen glands and burning fever, I’m in so much pain with my throat I can’t swallow. Has this happened to anyone else ??

• Hi Rebecca, grats on 9 days!

Swollen glands and burning fever are definitely things a doctor should check. They wouldn’t be related to the quit, at least not directly.

Good luck and stay strong!

20. I never tried to quit, but was cutting down, slowly, assuring myself that one day will come soon. Well, quit day came sooner than I thought. It took agonizing 24 hours to rule out lung mass. After that, I realized: never want to be in this situation again. Never picked cig again. Day 5 for me.

21. Hi Cameron

Day 6 and feeling ok. After day 4 did buy e cig. What’s your thoughts on these.

Regards Susan

• I was tempted to use one in the early days of my quit. I am glad I didn’t. They are designed explicitly as an alternative to smoking tobacco and not as a quit smoking aid. Some people manage to quit while making the switch and cutting down as they go. The thing to note though, is that they work towards quitting the e-cig.

Good luck!

22. Jay Narsinghani says:

Hi Cameron,

It’s just been 4 days since my last puff and the fatigue, the tiredness and the lethargy is unbelievable.
    Every second I feel I’m gonna fall.
    Even after a 10 hour sleep I get up and I feel so light headed that I feel like going back to bed.

Im not really craving for one but sometimes just feel like it would help me get my energy back.

Your thoughts on that….

Regards,
    Jay.

• Stay strong Jay. What you are experiencing is pretty normal. Take one challenge, one hour, one day at a time. You are going through recovery and it will take a lot of your energy. Give it time and you will heal. :)

23. Rob Jennings says:

I am a 62 year old male and have smoked all my adult life. On 31st July 2013, in a spontaneous moment, I smoked my last ciggy. It has now been 6 weeks and i was glad to read all of the other comments on here as they are reassuring.
    The fatique was starting to worry me but now it seems its very common. I get up and have a coffee and then feel like going back to sleep again. Every time I sit down I could fall asleep. Having said that, it is starting to improve so I think I just have to hang in there.
    My appetite is just starting to improve and i think I have a little weight gain but nothing much.

I am just so pleased to have got this far cold turkey.

24. This is day 2 for me. I have tried many times to stop. What I thought used to be fun -was really my biggest enemy. Each time before I did somewhat ok until I had to go to work, it was mostly the extreme fatigue . I got SO moody, I hated everything and kept threatening my husband that I was going to quit my job. Due to bills, life and ins. for the kids that is not possible for the time being, but do plan on something else in the next year. I am a cocktail server (15 years) on the Las Vegas strip. Tonight I will walk into a smoke filled casino and serve drinks to people blowing smoke in my face. my strength to get through it is my 8 year old son walking past me and out of nowhere said “Mom, I wish you would stop smoking”

25. Day 2 and my stomach is aching. I was throwing up in the morning and feel fatigued. 7 year smoker packet and a half a day. I feel so weak and dysfunctional. I don’t need tobacco anymore in my life

26. Hi, I am day four without smoking after30 years of smoking. My mom passed away last year of lung cancer so this year I decided to quit. I’m having a hard time with the tiredness and my daily routine of things. I have not really tried to quit in the past so this is all new to me. I have two adult children and I would like to live to see them have their children and enjoy that time so that is what motivates me, as well as I recently got married to a non smoker who is very supportive of me doing this. I’m tired all the time and my body seems to hate me on a daily basis and im hoping that this feeling passes pretty soon because I am determined to quit for good. Many of my friends at work smoke and some are encouraged by me tring to quit because one has already started the travel yesterday as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for them an believing they can do it as well as all of you can and myself.

27. I’ve been smoking for 20 years for past 6 years I’ve been on and off trying to quit but this time I need to do it as have been told have 85% lung in breathing at this stage they not sure why till under go more test they thinking asthma or early signs of lung damage im finding it very hard day 1 I went down to 5 smokes only a day to then only 1 in the morning none all arvo today was been rough I had 1 this morning then non stop sleep then cause I was sleeping so much it scared me I had 2 this arvo I didn’t enjoy em and made me feel worse im a regional manger for a company and I am finding it hard to function all I do is sleep or wake in fright cause been asleep when I wake I find it hard to actually get up I go back to sleep again feels like ya passing in and out all the time and its scary and im not getting much work done I need to have 0 smokes a day which im finding my body doesn’t want them its me making myself just have 1 how much longer is the fatigue and laziness going to last this week is hell.

28. I’m a little embarrassed but I’m only on day one! I keep snapping at my poor husband and he doesn’t deserve it. This is my second time trying to quit but my first go I was forced to and it feels the same this time. I just NEED to quit, which I know I do. It’s frustrating feeling like you can’t do something you want or enjoy because somebody is going to give you a hard time about it. So I guess my anxiety is thanks to feeling like my husband is forcing me to quit. My last go I tried carrots, gum, and peppermints but my sister-in-law had quit very successfully (after 18 years of two packs a day) using the Blu ecigs and I was using that and had literally gone an entire week without wanting or feeling the need to smoke either a regular or the Blu. My husband thinks cold turkey is best and I’m just having a difficult time. Technically yesterday around noon was my last smoke but I’m already irritable. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is just annoying and I guess it’ll be easier since I’m always alone at home but I don’t like being snappy or irritable. My God, menstral cycles are plenty of “mean” days for me, I don’t want cigarette withdraws too! I just need some helpful tips so can anyone suggest anything? Hate this quick temperament.

29. Going on week 4. I have had anxiety and panic before I quit. I am completely exhausted, dizzy off and on and can’t focus with my eyes sometimes. Using the ecig but just sooooooo tired.

30. well on day 18 of my cold turkey quit. first 3 days were terrible but after that progressively becoming more managable day by day. my only concern is my constant fatigue and sugar cravings. I assume this is the bodys adjustment phase as it would usually be stimulated by nicotine but after nearly 3 weeks I would expect some improvement. I try to take positives and better to be resting in bed that coughing up blood in bed on some cancer ward.

31. Hi,

Thank god I found this site. I smoked for about 20 years- I’m 36 now- so I started young. ( roll-ups for the past 10 years or so). I am at the 5 week mark tomorrow and although I am proud of quitting and I have no intention of ever smoking again no matter how hard it gets- I feel really overwhelmed with anxiety, depression and fatigue since I quit. It probably doesn’t help that I just finished 5 years of University which almost killed me- but to be honest- I would be more proud to be a non smoker than anything else in the world and now I am! (although it’s early days)

Saying that though- I really had no idea that my emotional/mental health would take such a nose-dive since quitting but reading these comments it’s comforting to know that I am not alone! I really hope that it gets easier and I am looking forwards to a few months dow the line- then a few years when I hope to feel 100% but at the moment I have to say I am suffering really bad.

Everything seems like a huge effort, I am drained of energy- even the most basic things- like getting-up, showering, dressing, and feeding myself feels like a momentous task!

Suffice to say, I am pretty down about it. But- I am determined to see this through! With smoking there really is no option but to NOT smoke! It is by far the worst thing I have ever subjected myself to- but I was young when I started and was hooked at an early age so I shouldn’t be too hard on myself for it. It’s not a smokers fault- I blame tobacco companies and the people who work for them.

What keeps me strong is my absolute refusal to give any more money to these evil tobacco companies! There is o other word for them but EVIL- I don’t know how they sleep at night knowing what they do!

So if you feel the urge to smoke in withdrawals just remember that all you are doing is speeding up your own demise and making profits for evil people (in tobacco industries) who depend on your addiction to make massive salaries indiscriminately trading and exploiting with peoples lives and health.

They wanted you to start young and they wanted you to be a customer for life until you die a gruesome death by a smoking related disease- how evil is that? How sick is that? How are these evil people not in prison? The mind boggles…

They sell death in a packet and they hook people on substances which will eventually kill them- and as poor addicts we willingly and legally sign our own death contracts with these evil tobacco companies becoming customers for life and enslaved to their horrible poisons!

If that prospect doesn’t disturb you enough to stay off cigarettes forever then I don’t know what will. Keep strong people! Keep the faith! – We can do it! All the best :)

• Awesome post Rory, I think you hit the nail on the head for a lot of quitters. I hate big tobacco companies and the people who invest in them with a passion.

Well done on quitting though and keep fighting the good fight. It sure is tough and I would say the most challenging thing I have ever done, but SOOOOOO worth doing. Over two years now for me, no regrets! I love life as a non smoker!

Stay strong!

• Hey Cameron,

no problem- thanks for creating this space for all us poor recovering nicotine addicts! It’s very helpful and much appreciated. I can’t wait to get to the stage you are at! sounds fantastic, and I would very much agree that it is one of the most difficult addictions/behaviors to quit and to deal with. My mother quit after 35 years of smoking, she was 50, and is now 10 years off them! She is doing great…

It angers me that the tobacco industry still gets away with producing and selling these death sticks! But most governments make a fortune in taxing cigarettes so I doubt of they will ban them any time soon! So it’s up to us to refuse to buy them! I really feel for smokers and quitters, it’s such a brave and courageous thing to quit, and we should all be very proud of ourselves. I’m not feeling great in withdrawals , and I am hoping it will get better- and I know it has to in time! :)

• i just started the quit and i feel like crap im 17 and i started at 12 idk how i am going to get through this alone bc my parents are telling me that there is no way they are going to believe i am quitting so im in this alone and will refuse “to light one up” as long as i live.

32. today is the 2nd day of giving up smoking and I am unable to work in office. drowsiness is killing me. i want to sleep but i can’t. somebody help!!!!

33. Jade Jenkins says:

Thank god for this post….its so well written and keeps me motivated to keep going on my quit journey and also not to give myself a hard time.
    My husband and I quit 5 weeks ago and it has been tough! we were on the patches for three weeks (a week per phase) and now we are on the gum.
    We are both SOOOO tired, depressed and grumpy, I dont know how we havent shanked eachother….however, we are also determined, proud and excited to be smoke free.
    Im sure the tiredness will go eventually…its just good to know we are not alone.

Good luck to anyone else on this journey.

34. I quit a month and a half agree, I must say dealing with cravings have not been as big of an issue for me as I would have thought (this time) attempt number 4 at quitting. I think the difference this time was determination, my husband is still smoking and it does not bother me the smell that comes off of him just reminds me each day why I quit and living in Canada I find it quite funny that he is outside in the freezing cold and storm storms with his cigarettes while I watch tv and laugh from the window. All laughs aside, the fatigue is whats kiling me, I could seriously fall asleep standing up, Im having naps when I can but Im burnt out, when does this go ahead when will the fatigue stop , anybody? It seems to be the only withdrawl symptom I got and because of that it seems like its ten fold, Can I get peoples feed back son when the fatigue went away.

• Hi Sonya, I found the fatigue to weaken within a couple of weeks. Though having said that, it came and went a few times throughout the journey. Fatigue can also be attributed to other lifestyle choices as well, so best to keep that in mind throughout the journey as well.

Well done on your quit btw!

Stay Strong!

35. I quit a few years ago. Didn’t have a lot of cravings, only for a week or so. At the same time, my muscles got very weak and I was tired. At times I could hardly stand up, my legs were shaking and I had trouble walking and kept falling over. My doctor couldn’t figure it out and contributed it to stress. Was on sick leave for four months. Neither of us thought quitting smoking had anything to do with it.

I later started smoking again, and I’ve smoked for a couple of years, together with a form of chewing tobacco (a type you put under your upper lip). I want to quit smoking, cause I don’t really enjoy it. But every time I try, within a day or two the muscle weakness is back. I went for a month without any improvement, then smoked two cigarettes and was back to normal again. I’ve used the other tobacco throughout, so no cravings. I exercise, eat (extremely) healthy, the blood test showed that everything is normal, blood pressure is around 105/65 (been measuring, thought maybe a blood pressure drop was the cause). What in the world is going on? It’s going to be impossible to quit again if I cannot fix this.

36. I have to say, this site has been a huge relief for me. I am in a very odd situation, health-wise.

I am 34, and have suffered from M.E. since I was about 17-18. I started smoking around 16, but (as with most people) it started just 1 or 2 a week… by 20 it was 1-2 a day. By December ’13 it was 8-10 a day. However, its always been a ‘secret’ in so far as only my wife and some friends knew. None of my family did, nor anyone at work (which was great for keeping the amount I smoked under control.

I had one hell of a scare this xmas. I was on my way to my in-laws and my chest (ribs) started really hurting and it made my breathing more shallow. Naturally I got very worried as to what this meant, and if it was smoking related. the way it feels muscular and the way it radiates around the ribs and back seems to suggest that its just a horrible muscle strain across the ribs (probably from carrying 2 suitcases).

At the time, however, I had no idea what it was and I started getting anxious after a few days, and that made everything worse. It also added nausea and loss of appetite. I also became absolutely EXHAUSTED. -Now my M.E. has always done that, but this was well beyond the level it normally affected me.

I panicked so much that I totally detoxed. I wasn’t smoking for the 4-5 days I was away anyway (although I did use NRT gum), I cut down caffeine and cut out sweetners etc. When I got home I had a few more cigarettes over a few days (much less than normal), with a view to cutting down. But as of 2nd January I decided to cut them out completely and go smoke free.

I am using e-cigs as an interim stand-in. I figure the most important thing is to cut out the smoke, and naturally phase out the nicotine.

Well- I feel TERRIBLE! lol. I am EXHAUSTED. Really totally drained and wanting to sleep all the time. I am anxious. my chest is still tight.

Reading a lot of the stories on here make me worry much less. I see that all the symptoms I am feeling from the tiredness and anxiety to the breathing, are all regular symptoms of quitting smoking.

I feel really good about the choice I’ve made, and feel less worried now. Its also comforting to know that there are so many other people going through the same thing.

The biggest thing for me is to feel like I don’t have to worry!

• Sounds like panic attacks. I get those all the time. today is my first day without a cig. I’m exhausted. Didn’t really wanna post but I made myself do it. I have nothing better to do. Been out of work since June cause of a car wreck. Broke both my legs, the right sustained permanent injuries. I limp with a crutch. Been hard on me so I started smoking again after I quit last January.

• Julie James says:

Hi im julie im on day 2 with one slip up,that made me sooo sick, these headaches are the worst, i have the patch on, cravings are strong but the minute i inhaled i coughed for 30 minutes, i am a long time smoker, i want to quit, i work a stressful job, but not being able to breathe scared the hell out of me, any other hints tips,i feel horrible and look like s”t:-(

• Hi Julie, I found that by taking out the biggest challenges, momentarily, allowed me to focus on areas I could overcome and tackle the healing process one step at a time. For example, I took time off work while I dealt with the chemical withdrawal. I didn’t compound the withdrawal with stress from work. My family also stayed at the in laws for a few days so I didn’t feel claustrophobic and I was able to be as relaxed as possible during the most difficult stage.

Put the ball in your court as much as possible.

37. I’m on day 6 of quitting after smoking for over 20yrs. I have headaches from waking until I sleep which is usually 2am since quitting :( my throat is sore and I sound like Hilda Ogden. I wake up congested coughing up plegm. I feel exhausted all the time and I’m grouchy

38. Angela Pembroke says:

I’m so glad I found this website! I’m 3 weeks into my smoking rehab and its going well with patches and inhalator. I’m so tired and anxious, I’ve been having heart palpitations and feel quite depressed. Definatly don’t want to go back to the fags, have up before Christmas to test myself and got through that and new year without temptation.
    I’m just feeling so anxious and exhausted all the time, I just want to sit and sleep, my partner who doesn’t smoke isn’t very supportive and doesn’t understand why I’m always feeling unwell.
    All I know is no matter what the little nicotine devil inside my head does or says to me I’m not giving in, it’s my first attempt at giving up and I’ve been smoking nearly 15 years :/ we are doing a brilliant thing, telling the government where they can shovel their fag tax, and the tobacco companies where they can go is a massive comfort. Being able to afford bedroom tax and bills is the only luxury im getting from quitting at the moment as I’m out of a job, but it’s a major relief, a relief that I’m blessed to feel every day for the last 3 weeks, and knowing I’m at least sticking one finger upto the government!!

39. Sathyanath says:

After 19 years of smoking i had decided to quit smoking, 10 Jan 2014 is my 1st day and already started feeling Fatigue and tired, Hope i can cross this hurdle…

40. Faith Coleridge says:

Oh God I’m on day 5. I’m so f’ing tired. Emotional too. A few hours ago I just started crying for nothing. I bought a relaxation self-hypnosis CD and a quit smoking one. They are working wonders. I’ve also got the tingling in my fingers and feet. I am celebrating that as my body coming back to life after 8 years of HEAVY smoking. I joined a gym at the turn of the New Year knowing that would help. Everyday at lunch this week I have done two miles on the elliptical trainer (slowwww pace) and stretched. I’m using this as an opportunity to get my health back in every aspect
    It kind of started spontaneously but whenever I feel like giving in I just close my eyes, ball my hands into fists and start chanting ‘Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God . . . ” That lasts for a minute or two. It seems to help. I will not lose this time.

41. I am an 17 year smoker, consuming between half a pack to about 2 packs a day (depending on circumstances)

Well, i recently (15th January) celebrated my 40th birthday and , sorry to say, I really over-did things ; especially the drinks part. I remember waking up a couple of days later feeling so nauseated, head achy and so thoroughly disgusted with myself concerning proceedings that I swore it would never happen again.

Anyhow I am now on day 5 with neither a puff of smoke nor a sip of alcohol. I just decided that I was tired of feeling sick all the time and I just want to feel better – body, mind and soul. I think I’m doing OK; the lack of alcohol isn’t as bad as lack of cigarettes but i have somehow managed to avoid them. My appetite has shot through the roof, I’m irritable and short tempered and i seem to be permanently tired.

But I would rather feel this way for a little while than go back to what I was. lack of smell/taste, stained fingers, smelly clothing (and home), bad breath, out of breath – the list is endless. I have made up my mind to fight this thing until I succeed or die trying – that’s whats in the cards for me anyway if i don’t quit so i have nothing to loose in trying and everything to gain in succeeding.

plus, i think being around in my 4 year old daughters life is one of the best gifts I can give her. (my wife doesn’t yet realize that this time I seriously intend to quit – i bet she’ll be ecstatic..)

Good luck everyone. I hope you find the reason(s) to quit and keep quitting like I have. all the best.

42. I am 62, smoked for 40 years and quit 8 weeks ago with the help of Wellbutrin; the only way, it seems, I could quit. I also weigh 200 pounds (should weight abut 140). Anyway, I can breathe an itsy bitsy bit better; however, I see no improvement in anything else. In fact, I am soooooo tired and sleepy all of the time, worse than when I was smoking. I sleep 10 hour nights, then take 2 hour napes (after I eat a 500-650calaorie lunch) . I don’t have diabetes or high blood pressure, nothing wrong with me. I read that it is normal to be tired more than normal after quitting smoking, but I would think I should be over it by now. When I first quit, the first 2-3 weeks I was antsy and had trouble sleeping through the night. Someone please help me!

• Well done on 8 weeks Amy. I was affected by tiredness and fatigue for a while as well, though that was over the first couple of weeks. Mind you I tend to get fatigued now and then anyhows, as I am overweight (working on that…). The wellbutrin might also be playing a role. My general suggestion is to try and get a 10 minute walk in every day and maybe seek some general medical advice from your doctor.Ask about vitamin D and if it may be beneficial for you. Personally, I find the 10 – 15 minute walk extremely helpful.

Stay Strong!

43. 20 year tobacco user here. I am 25 days tobacco free and still experienceing my two worst withdrawl symptoms, light sleeping and fatigue. I am also stopping a a ten year daily marijuana habit, man what a battle its been. Fight the good fight and stay strong. We are doing this for a healthier longer life with our loved ones, luck to
    You. Heres to another day drug free.

• Hey Brock,

i’ve been on ciggies for 25 years on and off, also 23 years of weed almost continuously. And lots of it too. Have enjoyed it all but was thinking to complete a third decade of such activities is akin to suicide. My chest can’t take it any more. I feel ultra fatigued today (6th day off weed, 2nd off ciggies) Try some vigorous exercise and you’ll most likely sleep a little deeper.

All the best.

44. Jan Lochhead says:

Hi all,

Currently on day 47 tobacco free and recovering from a bout of Glandular fever. The fatigue was killing me. I think it was a combo of the two, the virus & quitting smoking after being a 30 a day smoker for 30 years!

Apart from the smoking I have mostly had a healthy diet and do yoga. However the fatigue was so bad, for 5 days I couldn’t move from my bed it was awful, I could only move to get to the toilet.

I decided to up my juice intake, here is a fantastic juice for anyone suffering fatigue:
    1 whole cucumber
    1 courgette
    A few handfulls of spinach
    A chunk of fresh ginger
    3 pears
    3 cloves (if you can stomach it) of garlic.

Garlic really is the superfood in this recipe which is why it’s best to give it a go. It’s great for circulation, which helps the blood. Thats why when we quit smoking the body is really trying hard to recover and the blood is working on overdrive, garlic really does help in this process as it helps the heart pump the blood round the body. I also add “spirulina” powder to mine (another great anti-oxidant” and drink it twice daily. Eating Broccolli raw is also great too, not the most nice tasting, but very good.

I needed to share this as I’m currently on day 4 of NOT NAPPING! since pping this recipe, in the day and today managed to get back to my yoga class, cycled there and back too. And I totally credit the juice for it.

Good luck all you fabulous non-smokers and the ones just beginning to quit. DON’T GO BACK, to the filthy drug. I you want something you’ve never had, you got to do something you’ve never done.

Regards

Jan.

45. Hi
    Im on day 4 off not smoking, using patch and nasal spray. Feeling good bout myself after stopping and failing over the past 20 years. Tried cold turkey Alan Carr book (stopped for 2 years then) This site is really good to read as I was worried about the tiredness this time and now I understand why I am tired! I am also using an app on my phone called QuitNow, this shows me how my body is recovering with each smokefree day. Thanks to all. Kind Regards Joanne

46. Day 3 quit smoking: it didn’t hit me until today. I am so tired I can barely move. I am dizzy and light headed. Packs day long Capris for 3 years, these cigs are like lazor beams.. They are skinny and extra potent. My light headed ness and tingling and heavy was throughout my body is do overwhelming I have been laying on the couch all day. I never do thAt. I feel good though, like oxygen is going to my brain for the first time in a long time. I am using the patch, and a zero nic-cig for after eating.. I honestly feel good because I am doing this for looks and vitility, but reading some other experiences on here is depressing… Anyone doing this for their looks? Thanks

47. Maria Rosales says:

I am 66 and smoked on and off for over 40 years. I am on my 6th attempt to quit tobacco. There are many gains in quitting but for me there is one thing that is not helping: lack of energy and sleepness. I have gained at least 5 pounds, even though I am trying to get away from sweets. Definitely, appetite increases when you quit. I am on my 5th week and I am still fighting the drop in physical energy. Is there any natural supplement that would help increase metabolism return to normal or almost normal?

• Lord Gruff says:

There’s an interesting book that covers some of the pharmacological substances that can be taken to help ease the side-effects of quitting. It’s titled ‘How To Quit Without Feeling S**T’ by Patrick Holford. I managed to get a copy from my local library. It’s definitely worth a gander; but some of the substances he recommends are not readily available in the UK.

Another way to really kick-start the body’s healing is to go on a ‘juice fast’. Check out Joe Cross’ self-funded film – “Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead”. It’s on Youtube and there are also a couple of related websites.

To paraphrase what Allan Carr said in his excellent ‘EasyWay To Stop Smoking’ book – when we’re smokers we don’t realise that we smoke to make ourselves feel ‘normal’. Non-smokers feel that way all the time… without any cigarettes!

Exercise is also a great help with mood, etc. However, the assumption with many of the exercise suggestions on here is that everyone can suddenly & easily start going for a ‘brisk 10 minute walk’. Not everyone can do that. On the voluntary courses I deliver for the NHS, we start by saying, ‘Start from where you are now’. To some people, just one minute of gently marching-on-the-spot is difficult. So we recommend to start with 30 seconds and then gradually build up to doing 60 seconds… and then 90 seconds… so on. The point is to do some exercise, no matter how small. Every little helps.

Stick with it, everyone.
      Best Wishes,

• A brisk ten minute walk is well and truly possible for the overwhelming majority of people and easily constitutes a small step in the right direction. Of course, some folk are debilitated by significant health/fitness concerns, and in such cases, walking on the spot for 30 seconds might well be a step forward also.

48. I am 37 and have been smoking for 20+ years. I have been smoke free for 12 days now. Quit cold turkey just out of the blue. Guess it was my bodies way of saying now or never. lol
    I guess I should start off by saying I recently just got over the shingles. Yes, my nerves have been getting the best of me these days. My allergies are killing me as well.
    Anyway, I thought that if I quit, I was going to be “The Kraken” around my friends and family and that was my biggest reason for not quitting, I didn’t want to take it out on them. Plus, my stress level and my nerves are a battle for me these days. Guess you can say being a Military wife isn’t as easy as most people think. Well, turns out, It wasn’t that bad after all. I have been calm for the most part. To calm sometimes. I catch myself looking off into space, a lot and for long periods of time. I feel run down almost all the time. I feel clogged up in the face, nose eyes and all around head.(Allergies)? or not. Not sure. To be honest, feels like from my shoulders up, my head is heavy. My eyes can’t seem to keep up with my head. They don’t focus like I need them too. This feeling makes me feel off balance and uncoordinated. Good thing is, this doesn’t happen all day long. It comes and goes during the day. With all this, I get Panic and Anxiety attack and feel like I’m doomed. My “Mind” keeps telling me I’m never going to get better and I smoked to long and I’m going to die because of it, that’s why I’m feeling like this now. I know this sounds crazy and maybe it is, I don’t know. This is just how I’ve been feeling for the last 12 days.
    So, is what I’ve been feeling Normal or do I need to start getting myself fitted for my own “Pretty Personal White Jacket” and checking myself in to the nearest crazy clinic?
    I’m not going to start smoking again, that part of my life is over with. However, I don’t want to feel lost like this forever. I would like for my life to get back to normal. I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired. I don’t want to rest anymore, I want to get up and do things. lol I would like to start working out and walking more without feeling like I’m going to stagger or fall over from the lightheaded feeling. I want my old self back. I want to be fun loving, silly and out and about taking charge of life with my family and friends.

P.S. Sorry for rambling there at the end. That’s another side effect I forgot to mention. lol

Thanks for the help, :-)

49. Its been 4 weeks since I quit however, I still feel fatigue and moderate muscle pain, not sure if this is something that I should expect.

• Manu it may well be a little tension causing muscle pain. Your mind may be happy with quitting but your aching body may try and trick you into smoking again by telling you it’s suffering. Giving up can be simple yet very tricky. Addictions try to hang on to you. I find going for a run, or jog loosens me up somewhat. That also stops the fatigue whilst taking in lots of deep breaths whilst exercising. After exercise you should feel good and more relaxed overall, and then have a good nights sleep.

50. I have been smoke free for 3 weeks now. I am happy, I can taste and smell and I actually laugh from time to time. I have been fighting the cravings with the force of a battalion, seriously not what I had expected after 3 weeks, however today is a good day. i am fatigued, I have never been a nap taker or one to sleep in or go to bed early and sleep like the dead. I am now and have been for 3 weeks. I have been smoking off and on for 37 years so the way I see it is I need the rest to heal. I pray that I will be protective of my quitting and not go back to it so easily like I did last time, after 3 years it took only one cigarette and 2 days to be a full blown smoker again. This time I am learning to protect what I have with my entire life force. It is a good thing to read other stories and comments, it helps!

51. 8 weeks quit (was 15/day 20 yrs) finding the severe fatigue the worst withdrawal symptom to deal with. Waiting in anticipation for more energy ….. I had bags of energy and did loads of exercise when I smoked :(

52. rochelle says:

Having smoked for 11 years then given up for 18 months, I have spent the last 7 months as a “secret smoker”. I finally decided to quit for good (once again) and am now on day 3 of no cigs (I find it easier to go completely cold turkey). On the positive side I genuinely no longer feel mentally addicted and know I do not need nor want another cig but the fatigue is killing me. Been in bed at 6pm straight from work for last 2 nights! Hope it gets easier.

53. Hi,
    I had been smoking for five years and quit for almost a year and slowly i started taking one or two cigs after beers to get rhe extra high.but last week i went on a rampage i had two packs continuously day before and i decided to quit and its day 3 and i started yoga tdy.. My body is reacting wierd

54. This is the hardest thing I have done. I am 61 and have smoked for most of my adult life. My husband quit on 1/9/14 and I quit on 2/22/14. I am using the patch (14 mg for a month and now on 7 mg). I am also using an e-cig with no nicotine vapor. I could not do this without the e-cig. I feel every day is a battle not to smoke – but I haven’t. I hate the weight gain even though I am working out 1/2 hour 4 to 5 days a week. I hate how I feel mentally and how I don’t feel like doing anything I used to love to do. Thanks to everyone for your postings. I now realize I will get through this and I will feel better. I am not crazy! After quitting, I now realize what a terrible drug nicotine is and I am so happy that I quit. I am looking forward to the future and to controlling my life rather than smoking controlling my life. I made the right decision. I just want to feel like me again.

55. Gave up 7 days ago with the aid of acupuncture. Muzzstop…..no cravings! Unbelievable! Also gave up coffee…..
    The first 2 days all I did was sleep. The withdrawal pains were phenomenal…..I actually thought I had sciatica! The pains have worn off now but the fatigue is intense. I work a 28/9 roster so family and friends want to see me but I have no energy or desire.
    The actual stopping smoking has not been a problem……I am so impressed. The first treatment was a liver detox, the second, blood. He told me he can get rid of the cravings but not my memory……that’s when the Will power kicks in……and doesn’t have to be that strong. I simply have no physical urge to smoke because my liver has let go of all the chemicals. My brain still registers that I was a smoker but I change what I’m doing. If something triggers, I have a glass of water.
    Have also kicked into the whole fruit smoothies and am drinking much more water than I’ve ever drank……exercising by walking at least 5 Kms per day (will start at the gym when I get back to work, slowly!)…..feel great, the coughing is starting to subside but yes, the fatigue is still there.
    It’ll be a time thing.

56. Brad Oubre says:

After smoking for 26 years, I have been smoke free for 5 months. I have never been so tired in my life. I really only have the will to make it to work and back. Is this normal? Any one else experience this? Thanks for your input.

• 88 days and am tired as hell i saw your post and im relieved itsnot just me i was looking for a post like yours so now u know your Not Alone

57. Veronica D. says:

I have been smoking properly for 21 yrs but around second hand from both parents 2 pks a day each for 13 yrs before that. I have tried to quit many times and many diferent ways. I am sick and tired of being sick all the time I can’t breath anymore, so I sent hubby to store for the box of patches before I could get out of bed to have my first cig of day, yesterday morning. It worked. We were at a hotel with our 4 kids, so I was stuck til he got back. Still sick tho but now I feel fatigued and “high”. Hubby is happy, last night was first ever without “constant coughing” he said he got some rest! How long til I feel better and actually stop coughing? I wonder. My grandma on mom’s side had lung cancer and 1/2 of one lung removed and 1/4 of other, she never stopped smoking but continued to cough. I don’t want that to be me. I have been coughing for 12 yrs now. Patch is helping so far, and hard candies too, I am afraid of my day 4. I always go “nuts” and break down and buy cigs. I can’t do that this time.

58. Hi i don’t consider my self a heavy smoker but i used to smoke one or two cigarettes every day from 2 years . Its been 5 days i stopped iam feeling very dizzy and week . i used to jog for 6 km. but from 3 days i cant even jog for 2 km . is this because i stopped and when i wake up early in morning my throat will b blocked and i feel of veard wheezing noise . is this normal for a quitter or do i have to concern doctor .
    any help is appreciated
    and can any one suggest what to do to keep my mind off of it..
    thanks

59. Thank u everybody. It is so reassuring to read all the posts. I am so exhausted. But reading that this is common really helps. I am on day 15.

60. I’m week 3 and was over the moon to see this site cause I thought I was going crazy. But rather than tell you all the same, my muscle are weak and I have no energy, I decided to do some research. Hopefully to help all of you guys as well but mainly cause I can’t be suffering like this as I’m training for army entry. I have researched magnesium supplements. I claims to be the best thing and add a light exercise each day. I started today and will let you know how I’m going after one week.